Large open water fish, like this Northern bluefin tuna, are oily fish. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Here are 5 quick and dandy ways to help the ocean and its animals:
1. Still fuming over Blackfish? Free Lolita the Orca from 43 years in captivity. Sign here.
2. A click a day helps fund Oceana’s sea-saving campaigns.
3. Overfishing, radiation, global warming and overfishing are putting unbelievable pressure on the sea and the animals that live there. Sign Greenpeace’s petition to designate 40% of the world’s oceans as protected marine reserves.
4. Bluefin Tuna are seriously overfished. Urge the National Marine Fisheries Service to take more specific measures to help them.
5. Two words: The Cove. Ask Japan to stop killing dolphins.
Driving down to the Seaworld, I stopped just south of the weird double-breasted San Onofre nuke plant to take in an ocean view. As I pulled into the rest area, I saw what looked like the Partridge Family’s multi-colored bus dominating the tiny beachside lot. Unlike the Partridge’s squeaky clean pattern, each of this bus’s colored squares contained a crazy religious messages:
WHO HAS NOT MOLESTED THEIR SELF PRIVATELY? DON’T LIE TOO.
RICH PEOPLE HIDE THEIR SINS JUST LIKE HOBOS
The prophet/ driver soon appeared at the driver’s side window, shirtless under his overalls and sporting a long, slightly stained white beard. He thrust a Ritz cracker box toward me.
“Donations fer picture-takin!”
I threw a dollar in. “Thanks Precious!” he exclaimed, withdrawing into his mobile temple. I have to admit, it’s been a long time since anyone called me “precious” and perhaps the subsequent warmth I felt wasn’t simply the blinding California sun.